PO Box 9020
Meadow Lake, SK. S9X 1V7
NorSask Forest Products is committed to:
- Achieving and maintaining sustainable forest management standards;
- Continually improving our sustainable forest management performance;
- Improving our knowledge and understanding of forests by monitoring advances in sustainable forest management science and technology in order to continually improve our operating procedures and minimize environmental impact;
- Preventing environmental pollution;
- Complying with environmental legislation, regulations, policies and other requirements that apply to our forestry activities;
- Providing for public participation in our forestry plans and activities;
- Respecting Aboriginal and treaty rights and providing participation opportunities for Aboriginal peoples with respect to their rights and interest in our forestry activities;
- Providing the necessary knowledge and safeguards to facilitate a safe environment for forestry workers and the public;
- Continually monitoring and improving our environmental and sustainable forest management performance through the establishment of environmental and forest management objectives and targets, regular evaluations and initiation of action plans where required.
NorSask Forest Products is Canada’s largest, Indigenous-owned sawmill producing 140 million board feet of stud lumber per year primarily for the US housing market.
NorSask works closely with Mistik Management to ensure that log harvesting volumes in the field meet sawmill consumption needs. In addition we work closely with quality control on our finished product to maintain our NorSask brand and meet our customers’ expectations. Our reputation/brand has been built over many years and is something in which we take much pride. With the support from our ownership group (MLTC) NorSask is continuously investing in new technology to make the mill more competitive long term. In addition the continued dedication and hard work of our employees support the successful operation of our plant.
The recent start to the construction of the MLTC owned cogeneration power plant ensures more efficient operating for the NorSask mill through a new Kiln dryer and displacement of the existing beehive burner. This will all be eliminate the smoke and sawdust affiliated with the current process and reduce our reliance on Natural gas consumption. A hugely successful path forward.
As a company we wish to promote what is happening in our industry to create awareness so that people can have a better understanding of all the opportunities that come along with forestry. Many jobs are created from harvesting the forest, transporting and milling of timber. With proper forest management, those jobs can be secured for many years to come. A key factor for NorSask is sustaining a balance between economic development and responsible stewardship of the forest.